10 important things about LTO vehicle registration

1. My plate number is MGE 123 when will I register?

You will register your vehicle on the 1st week of March. For further clarification of motor vehicle registration schedule, the last digit of the plate number determines the registration month and the middle digit indicates the weekly deadline, presented as follows:

Last Digit of Plate Number (Monthly Schedule)

Middle Digit

of Plate Number

Weekly Deadline 

(On Working Days of the Month)

1 - January

2 - February

3 - March

4 - April

5 - May

6 - June

7 - July

8 - August

9 - September

0 - October

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8

9 0

For motorcycle plate, use the 3rd digit

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

8 9 10 11 12 13 14

15 16 17 18 19 20 21

22 up to the last day of the month

Motor vehicle registration may be renewed one (1) month before, but not later than the last working day of the week indicated by the middle digit of the plate number.

 2. What if I want to change my motor vehicle plate, is it possible? 

No, change of plate number is not allowed. Under Batas Pambansa Blg. 43: An Act Providing Number Plates to Owners of Motor Vehicles and Trailers, Amending for the Purpose Section Seventeen of Republic Act Numbered Forty-One Hundred and Thirty-Six, specifically Section 1, Sec. 17, the identification and letters of any motor vehicle number plate shall be permanently assigned to such motor vehicle during its lifetime. The only acceptable change in plate assignment is when a change in denomination is transacted/effected, i.e. from a private vehicle to for-hire or government to private, etc. 

3. My 1st registration was at LTO Makati, can I transfer my next registration at Caloocan D.O.? 

Yes, you can transfer the registration of your motor vehicle at LTO Caloocan D.O. or to any LTO D.O. most convenient or accessible to you. There will be an additional Php100.00 charge for Change of Venue (CV) of your vehicle registration. 

4. How much is the fine for a late registration? 

There is a weekly fine for late registration of Php200.00. And for a month delayed of payment, the fine shall become 50% of the MVUC. 

5. I want to buy a second hand motor vehicle. How can I be sure that the OR & CR are genuine? 

Have both the Certificate of Registration (CR) and Official Receipt (OR) verified for its authenticity at the L.T.O. Property Section, East Avenue, Quezon City. 

6. What is an Originating District Office? What is a Transacting District Office?

An Originating District Office is the LTO office where the first/initial registration of a motor vehicle together with all the mandatory documentary requirements was effected/transacted. The transacting District Office is where you presently registered/transacted the renewal or miscellaneous transactions of your Motor Vehicle.

7. Where can I report if I became a victim of hit and run?

You can report to a police assigned in the area where the incident took place.

8. How can I verify the details of a motor vehicle?

Verification may be done at any online L.T.O. District Office. However, as part of the continuing efforts of our Office to ensure the integrity and security of information relating to motor vehicle ownership and details thereof, any and all such requests from private individuals/entities shall be coursed through the Office of the LTO Assistant Secretary for approval.

9. What are the requirements and procedures needed in obtaining duplicate CR/OR? 

Initially, you need to secure a notarized affidavit of loss CR/OR. Secondly, you have to go to your Originating District Office and present the said affidavit of loss. You will also be required to present 2 valid IDs for identification purposes. The Originating District Office shall be the one to issue you a duplicate CR/OR. 

10. What are the requirements and procedures needed in obtaining duplicate plate and replacement of lost sticker? 

The requirements for duplicate plate/replacement of stickers are the following:

  • Original Affidavit of loss / mutilation
  • Certified True Copy of CR / Original CR
  • Certified True Copy of OR/Original OR of latest payment of MVUC and other fees
  • Duly accomplished and approved Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR)
  • Proof of Payment (OR) for the cost of replacement plate / duplicate plate / lost sticker
  • (In case of For Hire MVs ) Certification from LTFRB that plates have not been surrendered
  • (In case of sole proprietorship) Secretary’s Certificate in case of MV is in the name of a corporation or DTI certificate
  • PNP-HPG clearance